May is National Bike Month, and communities throughout Texas will be celebrating by learning more about bicycle safety. Experienced Waco, Texas bicycle accident attorneys will be joining in the festivities as well.
Both bicyclists and motorists must work together to keep bicyclists safe on the road. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), bicycle accident rates throughout the country continue to hold steady or to rise, even as accident rates for cars continue to fall. Whether you’re riding your bicycle or driving a vehicle, you can help protect yourself and others from accidents by applying safety tips like these:
- Follow all traffic laws. Come to a full stop at stop signs, yield the right of way, and travel on the right side of the road in the same direction as traffic.
- To signal turns, use your hands and arms. Warn drivers where you’re going so they know what to expect and can more easily avoid a collision.
- Always wear a bicycle helmet that fits properly. Bright or reflective clothing can also help make you more visible to drivers and reduce the risk of a crash.
- Double- and triple-check for bicyclists, especially at intersections. Bicyclists can be especially difficult to see when they’re on the right side of your vehicle, so look hard before making a right turn or merging into a right lane.
- When you pass a bicyclist, move to another lane if you can, just like when passing a car. Do not make dangerous maneuvers out of impatience. Be calm, considerate, and courteous on the road.
- Watch out for swerving! Bicyclists may need to move further to the left to get around potholes or debris on the right side of the road. Don’t ride so close behind a bicyclist that you can’t make room for bicycles that swerve.
If you have suffered injuries in a bicycle accident due to a negligent motorist, contact Brown Trial Firm, PLLC to learn about your rights and legal options.