An award-winning attorney who brings experience, knowledge and compassion to every case
Laura Brown has devoted her career to fighting for people who have been seriously injured and for families who are grieving the wrongful death of a loved one.
In recent years, Laura has made birth injury cases a particular focus of her practice. She represents babies who have suffered serious injuries at birth resulting in cerebral palsy in Texas and across the nation. As a mother herself, she truly loves representing children and serving as an advocate for them.
I am a third-generation trial attorney. Both my father and grandfather were trial attorneys, so I grew up watching both of them take cases to trial. I graduated from Baylor University as a premedical student with a degree in biology. But, as the old saying goes, the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree. I was destined for the law.
Education & Early Career
Laura went to Baylor Law School and graduated with her J.D. in 1992. Her premedical background was the perfect training for her legal career, and she spent her first 7 years defending medical negligence cases before deciding that her heart was really with the victims of major accidents and medical negligence.
According to Laura:
I’m a trial lawyer. If I believe that someone has been wronged and that person’s life or the lives of the family members have been devastated, I am going to fight for them with everything that I have. I can’t take every case, but I take as many as I can and still devote my energy and attention to each client. If you or someone in your family needs help with a wrongful death, serious injury or birth injury case, I would love to talk with you to find out if I can help you.
Accomplishments & Associations
Laura is an adjunct professor at Baylor Law School, where she teaches Advanced Trial Preparation and Personal Injury Trial Law. As an active member of the legal community, she has also published articles and given lectures on Advanced Medical Malpractice topics through the “Lost Chance of Survival” series.
Laura gives speeches across the country to labor and delivery nurses about the types of medical mistakes that she has seen in working on birth injury cases and helping educate these nurses on steps they can take to prevent injuries to babies in the future.
Laura was named as a Super Lawyer by her peers in the Texas Monthly Super Lawyer publication. She is a member of the American Association for Justice, Birth Trauma Litigation Group, Interstate Trucking Litigation Group, and the Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America.
Outside of the law office and courtroom, Laura is an accomplished pilot, skydiver, scuba diver and black-belt kickboxer. Her husband, Mark, is a commercial airline pilot and shares her love for flying and the water, but prefers not to jump out of airplanes. They both enjoy running and skiing, and their 2 children are active in all types of sports.
- State Bar of Texas (licensed since 1992)
- State Bar of Texas District 8B Grievance Committee (Member)
- American Association for Justice (Member)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (Chapter President – 2019 to present)
- Birth Trauma Litigation Group (Co-Chair, Co-Editor)
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association (Member)
- Interstate Trucking Litigation Group (Member)
- Motor Vehicle Trial Lawyers Association (Member)
- Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America (Member)
- Adjunct Professor, Baylor Law School (teaching Advanced Trial Preparation and Personal Injury Trial Law)
- Waco-McLennan County Bar Association (Member, Board of Directors)
- Leadership Waco Alumna
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum (Member)
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum (Member)
Awards & Accolades
- Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization (since 2008)
- Super Lawyer – Rising Star by Super Lawyers
- Texas Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers (2017-2020)
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyer (2012-2018)
Proven Case Results & Settlements
Laura’s passionate representation of her clients has generated many notable case results and settlements:
- In one case, Laura obtained a $16.3 million verdict in a wrongful death case tried in Tarrant County, Texas. She represented the wife, children and parents of a man who was killed in a wreck involving a company employee who was sent home from work because she was drunk.
- Laura also obtained a $10.3 million verdict in a birth injury case in which the baby’s umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck, causing a brain injury and resulting in hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) and cerebral palsy.
Laura has obtained many other multimillion-dollar settlements for her clients, including a $5.8 million settlement for a birth injury case filed in federal court, a $3.5 million settlement for a motorcycle/truck wreck in Central Texas, and a $3.25 million settlement in a birth injury case filed in Nebraska.